Monday, April 7, 2008

JAM...

I woke up to JAM (just another morning) and was lazily meandering in my house clueless what I am going to do in the next hour.I have always dreamt about this busy organised disciplined day in which every minute is packed with action like those corporate honchos.Haven't got a chance yet.So this one is up there in my wish list (at least for today !!) along with a few more.

A Monday holiday is a dream start to a week,and with a Friday one,possibly makes the best working week.I guess anyone wouldn't mind slogging 13.33 hrs/ day for a 3-day week.Today is Ugadi - New year's day for the Telugus and Kannadigas.Festivals do remind me of home and this is one time when I definitely miss being with my family.For most of us,the upwardly mobile middle class without many strings attached to customs or traditions,its just another holiday.

I called up home,spoke to my dad and found he too had a holiday.Well it wasn't for Ugadi but for a bandh called by ULFA.I have to admit the one common good thing between democracy and militancy is a bandh - the most convenient and peaceful expression of protest.And these days you get unflinching support from the public not becoz we believe in any of the ideological crap or support any of the irrational cause but we get another paid holiday.Is anyone complaining ??

I was about to hung up when my mom quickly reminded me of Poila Boishak (Bengali New Year) just a week from now.My formative years has been a very cherished one.I come from a traditional Bengali family and we had a 'big' (both in number and size) joint family.I was lucky and privileged in some sense to have such an upbringing with my uncles and aunts,cousins,grandpa,grandma all under a single roof.It was a less dramatised version of an Ekkkkkta Kkkkapoor soap saga with similar sounding names of characters but with slightly less intelligence and beauty but realistically loving and love-worthy.Today in the 28th year the bond might appear to have weakened in the conflict of individual interests & aspirations and dwindling ethical values but we still are a close knit family.

I have always wondered and still do isn't it paradoxical that we all are working towards a better future in our own arguably right ways but most of us have left our best days behind.Those moments which can now be only sweet little memories of bygone times;some captured as Kodak moments or some in (auto)biographies or some in Blogs and some simply etched in mind for us to treasure and get solace in moments of recluse.

No comments: